Guided Practice Group with Domyo
The Guided Practice Group meets for two hours on the first Saturday of the month:
- Cloud Zendo
- 11am- 1pm Pacific Time, Noon-2pm Mountain Time, 1-3pm Central, 2-4pm Eastern, 7-9pm British Time, 8-10pm Western Europe, 9-11pm Eastern Europe
- Limited to 7 participants
- Have been an active, participating member of Bright Way Zen for at least a year (Click here to learn more about membership; active participation generally means attendance at BWZ practice at least three times a month)
- Have received Jukai (Click here to learn more about Jukai)
- Willing and able to commit to a full term (once a month meeting for five months at a time; March-July or Oct-Feb), ideally attending all five meetings but missing no more than one (If you end up needing to miss more than one, you are asked to respectfully drop out and participate again in a different term)
During the term (five months at a time; Spring Term is March-July, Fall Term is Oct-Feb), participants:
- Attend all five Saturday Guided Practice Group meetings (missing no more than one, if truly necessary)
- Continue regular participation with the BWZ Sangha (3 or more times a month on Tuesdays, Sundays, or Saturdays including Sangha Checkin)
- Maintain a regular zazen practice at least five times a week (sessions of 25 minutes or more)
- Participate in all the Zazenkai, One-Day Retreats, and Sesshin that occur during the term (if at all possible; this is negotiable if you have a schedule conflict you can’t change in order to attend a retreat, but the idea is to make this a priority in your life for the term)
- Do homework assigned between meetings (this will be focused on one’s personal practice, including reading or journaling; expect this to take 2-3 hours during the month)
- Stay in touch with each other on at least a weekly basis via shared online journaling, email, or a forum (group chooses method)
- Are looking to challenge themselves, allow Domyo and fellow group members to know them better, and provide peer support to other members of the group by showing up and participating wholeheartedly
- Are willing to explore, with Domyo’s guidance, things like deepening samadhi power; identifying and working with one’s natural koans; facing and working with one’s karma, and learning our “family way” – the way the Dharma is expressed and manifested in our shared tradition, so one can participate in transmitting it to others.
See the BWZ Calendar for meeting dates: BWZ Calendar.
If the above qualifications apply to you, feel free to write to Domyo about committing to a term: domyo[at]brightwayzen.org.