Awakening to Whiteness Six-Meeting Curriculum
Meeting 1: Why are We Here, and Personal Experience with Race
We open the series with some materials and exercises to help frame the journey ahead. We hope to motivate and sustain your commitment to this work and place you in the good company
of other white people who are turning toward racial suffering with wisdom, compassion and the resolve to co-create its end.
Resources — please read/watch before your meeting:
● Racism as Dharma Doorway – Letter to White Sangha by Kristin Barker, one of the creators of the Spirit Rock curriculum.
● Healing the Broken Body of Sangha by Ruth King
● Taking Stock of Oneself by Bhikkhu Bodhi
● Not Somewhere Else, But Here by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker
● Communication Guidelines from East Bay Meditation Center
● Who Invented White People by Gregory Jay
● Ways of Being White by Gary Howard
● Watch the video Race: The Power of an Illusion $4.99 on Vimeo